Page 1 of 1

Messing About With Iron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:10 pm
by Ghislain
I wanted to dissolve some iron and try the coloidal experiment on it.

I didnt have any clean Iron to work with so I just messed around with what I had.

one piece may have had some chrome on it so who knows what is coming out?

Anyhow below is a video of what was done. I refer to the precipitate at the botton as sediment,
and the precipitate on top as the floaty stuff :) .

phpBB [video]

Just to make it clear the liquid in the jar is from the measured first experiment the liquid in the
flask is the result of using all the sediment material that was left.

If anyone knows what the milky substance was I would love to know.

It has a consistency of thin yogurt and when I added some sodium hydroxide to nutralise the
acid it set, but returned to a liquid overnight.


Re: Messing About With Iron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:13 pm
by Ghislain
I have used the sodium citrate method recommended for gold to produce metals in liquid solution
with no precipitate. Whether the result is potable is another matter.

For instance, I would not try any of the colloids I have created as I use whatever I have to hand to
see if the experiment can be completed, therefore there are obviously some unknown elements
within these products that may be unsafe; even the information available for colloids of gold, which
are openly sold on the net, may not be as safe as we are led to believe. We are our own human
guinea pigs. I think a good test may be to use firstly as a plant food, then possibly give it to a mouse
if the plant food is successful. Trying anything like this on yourself holds a very high level of danger

Re: Messing About With Iron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:20 pm
by Ghislain
Below is a pic from the video in post 1, the right hand jar contained the mixture from the first experiment,
which you may recall lost its colour and appeared clear. I was going to throw it out, but I noticed it was still
quite acidic, so I neutralized the acidity with s/hydroxide.


The result can be seen below, not only did the colour return, but it was deeper than before.
This made me think...does s/hydroxide react this way with s/citrate?


So I mixed the two in fresh water and this was the result.


Interesting huh?

Just another point on safety...

I tried to dissolve the floaty stuff in sulfuric acid to no avail, it just would not dissolve so I added a
pinch of salt, as this works with nitric acid on gold, still nothing, so I added a little nitric, still nothing
apart from bleaching out the colour contained in the supluric I use. At this point I thought maybe warm
up the acid, I turned on the hotplate on the spinner and went away, forgetting about it. It wasn't until
I felt a burning at the back of my throat that I remembered what I had done. Sure enough my acid
mixture was billowing out fumes in the kitchen :( I quickly removed it to outside and opened all the
windows...took about twenty minutes before I could breathe the air again. Be warned; don't forget
your acid if you are heating it lol. :oops:

Anyway heating did the trick and the floaty stuff is now a white mixture; of what I have no idea, but I
will try the same experiment with it later.



Edit: What pH does ormus form?

Update of the iron work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:26 pm
by Ghislain
As you could see from my last pic, in the first experiment, when the pH was raised it precipitated
something. I just poured some sodium granules straight into the mix; no measurement so no idea
what the final pH might have been.

I wanted to see at what stage the precipitate would start to form in the flask mixture, so I mixed a
strong solution of NaOH and started adding it to the flask. I got quite an unexpected result and still
some way to go, but we can talk of this later. Below is the video of the steps I took.

phpBB [video]

I love that colour.

The next video is a quick update of where the experiment is right now.

phpBB [video]

I don’t know if I need to keep raising the pH to get it to precipitate or did I rush past the point and should I
be lowering it.

Please note that I was using a pipette adding just 2ml of the NaOH solution at a time, so this took ages. The
video is a much shortened version of what was done...the flask started at 200ml and ended with 400ml.

Patience is a virtue lol.

Also note that neither the white salt from the red floaty stuff or the precipitate from the first experiment are
affected by a magnet. Both the red floaty stuff and the sediment reacted strongly with a magnet before they
were worked on.